- Ink: Only black color is permitted to use whether Arabic or acrylic inks.
- Paper: The artwork must be written on ‘’Waraq Muqqahar’’ (traditionally polished paper)
- Paper size choice is 20x30 cm as shown in the drawing.
- The following poem is written on four separate pages in the form of a patchwork so that each page contains one Thuluth line at the top, two Naskh lines in the middle and a Thuluth line at the bottom, as shown in the drawing. The verses to be written with Thuluth style have been colored in green and the verses to be written in Naskh style have been colored in black.
- Applicants are free to choose the colour of the used paper.
- Calligraphy style: Thuluth and Naskh together.
- Thickness of the pen: should be between 1.07mm to 2 mm for Thuluth style, and 0.7mm or 0.8mm for Naskh style
- The artwork must not be signed. A copy of the passport must be attached to the artwork when shipped.
All artworks shall be evaluated based on the rules and structures of traditional Arabic Calligraphy. Artworks that violate the concept of the correct Arabic phrase or do not take into account the correct text sequence, structures, grammar or include any spelling errors, will be eliminated from the award. Setting points for dotted letters in their right positions and correctness will be taken into account, as well as the correct punctuation. Artworks that do not comply with the conditions stipulated here, no matter their artistic value, shall be excluded.
ولد الهدى فالكائنات ضياء (الشاعر أحمد شوقي )
- Won numerous awards in international Arabic calligraphy competitions.
- Participated in several editions of the central exhibition held by the Ministry of Culture in Damascus, and the international exhibition held by the Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing in Dubai.
- Participated in the 3rd International Exhibition of Calligraphy in Cairo.
- Served as jury member for the 2nd annual exhibition of Arabic calligraphy and letter formations in Muscat.
- Many international calligraphers who won first prizes at local and international awards in all types of calligraphy have studied under him.
- Received a major award at the Ramadan Forum for Quran Calligraphy in Dubai 2013
- Won 1st prize in the Burda Award 2014
- Won 1st prize in the Thuluth and Thuluth with Naskh branches in the 2015 Al Baraka Bank competition
- Won 1st prize in the Ramadan Forum competition in Dubai in Muhaqqaq, Thuluth and Naskh scripts 2015
- Won 1st prize in the Ramadan Forum competition in Dubai in Thuluth Script 2017
- Participated in calligraphy work for the extensions of the Great Mosque of Mecca (Masjid al-Ḥarām).
- He is currently handwriting the Holy Quran Muhaqqaq script and another copy in Naskh script.
- Former teacher at the College of Fine and Applied Arts (Calligraphy, Drawing, and Design) - Khartoum: 1977-1981
- Lecturer (visitor), Communications Department (Typography) - United Arab Emirates University - Al Ain 2001
- Publications Designer - Ministry of Culture and Youth - United Arab Emirates: 2009-2016
- Calligrapher and Artistic Director - Ministry of Education - United Arab Emirates: 1990-2008
- Freelancer Calligrapher and designer with many advertising and media organizations - Khartoum and London 1977-1985
- Won 17 awards (1990-2016) in Arabic calligraphy competitions and exhibitions, such as:
International Calligraphy Competition - Turkey, Sharjah Forum for Arabic Calligraphy - Sharjah, Audio-Visual Exhibition - Sharjah, Sharjah Biennial for Fine Arts - Second edition 1995, Annual Exhibition of Emirates Fine Arts Society, 14th Session - Sharjah, and Al Burda Award Competition - Dubai / Abu Dhabi- (5 cycles).
- Iraqi-British artist who uses the Arabic letter as an allegorical form in painting, mixed media, sculpture, ceramic, and installation.
- An award winning artist, his works are housed in public and private collections, including the national collection of public sculpture in Qatar; the Islamic Museum of Australia; and the United Nations headquarters in Switzerland, where he held a solo exhibition in 2010.
Deadline 25 September 2022
Painting and calligraphy artwork should be sent to the following address:
United Arab Emirates, Fujairah
Meraisheed, Hamad bin Abdulla Street
Fujairah Fine Arts Academy Building
Phone:00971543077060 or 00971569147414
Wishing success for all participants